Birds Barbershop is hiring a full-time Director of People. In other companies, this would be called an HR position, but at Birds, it is impossible to have happy clients without happy staff. Our people are everything to us, and this is one of the only times we are looking outside our ranks for that perfect match. Credentials and experience will matter, but so too will cultural fit, and a trustworthy temperament especially. The more than 200 creative people who work at Birds need an impartial third-party Director of People who embodies the No Drama policy that drives our work environment.
Birds was founded in 2006 and has won the Austin Chronicle’s best haircut award every year since. For the past three years we have been named as a Top Workplace by the Austin-American Statesman and Birds has been ranked by Inc. as one of the nation’s Top 5,000 fastest-growing small companies.
The Director of People will be based in Austin and be responsible for managing day-to-day operations of all human resources functions. This position will be responsible for the full cycle of recruitment from sourcing through onboarding. They will be involved with employee relations and labor-related matters as they relate to federal, state and local employment and civil rights laws, including, but not limited to, ADA, ADEA, FMLA, FLSA, Equal Pay Act, Pregnancy Discrimination Act, workers’ compensation and comparable state and local laws, and general human and civil rights.
- Continuously strengthens the reputation of the team by building trust and credibility, communicating effectively, treating all employees fairly and respectfully, and providing high-quality service and follow-through
- Serve as an escalation point, making final recommendations on serious and complex employment matters involving discipline and termination
- Facilitate the interactive process with employees seeking reasonable accommodation for disabilities, in partnership with leadership and other support resources
- Supervise or facilitate HR portion of orientation for HQ new hires or new store openings as needed. Work with training team to develop programs for new management to ensure adequate knowledge of HR policies
- Work closely with Shop Directors at each location to define job descriptions and recruiting strategies
- Consistent communication with candidates and Shop Directors throughout the recruiting process
- Occasional travel between Austin and Houston
- Bachelor’s degree
- 2-4 years of HR experience in a broad-reaching HR role
- Strong understanding of US employment law
- Experience using an Applicant Tracking System (ATS) and Human Resource Information Systems (HRIS)
- Strong decision-making ability, discretion and calmness under pressure
- Knowledge of Microsoft Suite products, with intermediate abilities in MS Word and Excel
If you are ready to be a part of an award-winning team, please complete our online application.
- Competitive compensation
- Company-sponsored medical insurance, including dental and vision
- A culture that puts employees first
- Encouragement of individuality - be yourself with no dress code
- Generous discounts
- Three weeks of vacation
Birds Barbershop is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and is a drug-free workplace.